Utagawa HIROSHIGE (1797-1858)

Click here to view image full size.

Spring moon at the shore of Tsukudajima . One of a set of chu-tanzaku prints published by Shogendo, c. 1837. Tsukudajima was one of two islands at the mouth of the Sumida River. Originally a sanbar, it was reclaimed with earth and rocks and given its name by the first Tokugawa Shogun, Ieyasu, who invited thirty-three fishermen to live there in 1613 in order to provide fish for the rapidly expanding city of Edo. The fishermen came from Tsukudama near Osaka and it was they who became the proprietors of what would become the Tsukiji fish market. It must have been popular during the late Edo period as a place to visit and view the boats from teahouses on the shore because there are many prints depicting the area, especially under a full moon.


Fine impression, colour and condition. Signed Hiroshige ga. n.


Status: Available


    Tags: , , ,